Saturday, September 14, 2013

Ouch!

Do you ever have those moments when you do something really silly, but really painful. You know, those moments where you sit there trying to decide if the desire to cry is stronger than the desire to laugh at yourself?
I KNOW you know what I am talking about...
Well, if you are lucky enough to have not had an experience like this in your lifetime, I'll tell you what I did today. Maybe then you'll understand what I am talking about.
This is how I remember what happened:

I was feeling a little munchy, so I decided I'd take a little stroll into the kitchen to see what I could eat. I went to the pantry first, thinking this was where I would find something to satisfy my need for feed... 
This was my first mistake. 
I opened the door and realized it was awfully dark in our house, and I would probably need to turn on a light in the kitchen to make out any of the shadowy shapes I was looking at in the pantry.
(You see, our pantry has no light inside, even though we have been talking about getting something to fix that problem since day one of moving into this house). 
Well, it just so happens that the light switch in the kitchen is located on the south side of our kitchen, and the only thing standing between that switch and myself was that stinking pantry door.
I thought this was no problem as I could just step back, walk around the door and flip the switch. 
This was my second mistake.
You see, my brain, being able to concentrate on only one thing at a time, must have been far too preoccupied with the current status of my stomach. I say this because rather than simply walking around the door and flipping the switch like I was thinking would happen, my body quickly walked RIGHT AT THE CORNER OF THE OPEN DOOR and SMACKED my face straight into it!
I hit my lip so hard it is now starting to swell, and I first thought I had broken my nose because of the instant desire to pass-out. I fell to the floor, clutching my face and watching, dazed, as my husband came running toward me asking me if I was OK. 
My response?
Laughter, and tears. Lots and lots of tears. I still don't know if the tears were a product of the pinching feeling that was taking hold of my upper lip at the moment, or if they were of pure and utter embarrassment, but I guess it was probably a mixture of both. I have calmed down now, except that my eye will not stop this crazy twitching... It's driving me nuts. :-)
Pictures never do justice, but you can somewhat see a titch of swelling starting to happen there.

So what's the moral of this story...?


Are you kidding me? I do things like this all the time and I still haven't learned. I doubt this time will be any different!
I am just glad it was only Andrew around to actually witness this happen... (He's seen me do similar stunts and is less surprised when they happen).
I will admit that we were at Lowe's this morning and I mentioned a little something about grabbing a light to throw into the pantry later today... I will definitely make that a priority on the list for the next trip we take into town!
I guess I have learned something today! 
And if you haven't experienced and embarrassing moment like this yet, well, I hope you do someday. It's good for the soul to have a few humbling moments every once in a while. It's even better if you can laugh at yourself while doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment